3 more dolphins found dead off New Jersey coast
STONE HARBOR, N.J. - August 26, 2013 (WPVI) -- The bodies of three more dolphins have washed up along the New Jersey shore, bringing the statewide total to 71.
The Asbury Park Press reports that officials Sunday found dead dolphins at Island Beach State Park, Stone Harbor and an area off the bay in Strathmere.
On Saturday, officials found two dead dolphins in Sea Girt and Brigantine.
The senior technician with the Brigantine chapter of the Marine Mammal Stranding Center, Jay Pagel, says it's the "same thing that's been happening" since July 9.
From New Jersey south to Virginia, more than 230 dolphin deaths have been reported dead. A precise cause for the deaths is still unknown.
The deaths have been declared an "unusual mortality event" by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
Information from: Asbury Park (N.J.) Press, http://www.app.com
new jersey news, animals, local/state
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- Frost Advisory Overnight 26 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Crescentville shooting 1 min ago
- Heist investigation leads to Roxborough apartment 51 min ago
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Police: Elderly man targeted in Chester home invasion
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 7 min ago
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Warminster
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del.
- Frost Advisory Overnight
26 min ago
- Heist investigation leads to Roxborough...
51 min ago