3 more dolphins found dead off New Jersey coast
STONE HARBOR, N.J. - August 26, 2013 (WPVI) -- The bodies of three more dolphins have washed up along the New Jersey shore, bringing the statewide total to 71.
The Asbury Park Press reports that officials Sunday found dead dolphins at Island Beach State Park, Stone Harbor and an area off the bay in Strathmere.
On Saturday, officials found two dead dolphins in Sea Girt and Brigantine.
The senior technician with the Brigantine chapter of the Marine Mammal Stranding Center, Jay Pagel, says it's the "same thing that's been happening" since July 9.
From New Jersey south to Virginia, more than 230 dolphin deaths have been reported dead. A precise cause for the deaths is still unknown.
The deaths have been declared an "unusual mortality event" by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
Information from: Asbury Park (N.J.) Press, http://www.app.com
new jersey news, animals, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 1 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Fire forces several residents from Logan apts.
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Rottweiler puppy poisoned in NJ
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry 11 min ago
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Video: Parents outraged by faked kidnapping
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer 15 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
1 min ago