Lavallette, New Jersey police chief charged with assaulting girlfriend
TOMS RIVER, N.J. - August 26, 2013 (WPVI) -- The chief of police for Lavallette, New Jersey has been charged with assault following a domestic incident at his home in Toms River.
Colin Grant, 48, was arrested after the incident on Friday night.
Toms River police say were called to the home on Bay Lea Fairways at 11:45 p.m.
There, police say, they were met by a 40-year-old woman who said Grant had assaulted her during an argument.
Officers on the scene said the woman, who identified herself as Grant's girlfriend, was obviously injured, with redness and a small abrasion to her neck.
Grant was released pending a future court appearance.
Meanwhile, the Ocean County Prosecutor's Office said it will conduct its own investigation.Grant's employement status was not immediately known. A message and photo from Grant was still visible on the police department's website on Monday afternoon.
new jersey news, ocean county news, assault, local/state
- Skydiver ID'd in fatal Washing Twp. accident
- 70s Return This Week
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $10K to $30K stolen in Target armed robbery
- I-95 reopens after car catches fire
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Residents displaced after West Philadelphia fire
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash
- Camden teen reported missing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!