One-on-one with Philadelphia schools superintendent William Hite
PHILADELPHIA - August 26, 2013 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia public schools will open on time with some sports and music added back. But the teachers union still hasn't signed a new deal, and the deadline is Saturday.
Philadelphia Superintendent of Schools Dr. William Hite says he can open schools in two weeks with barebones education to offer Philadelphia's 136,000 public school students.
"It's the bare minimum of what we need in order to have adequate schools," said Hite.
With the $50 million pledge from City Hall, he's calling back 1,000 of the 4,000 employees laid off this summer.
There will now be one secretary per school, 46 assistant principals, 126 guidance counselors, 66 music teachers and 900 noontime aides.
The philosophy here: something is better than nothing.
"All classrooms will have a teacher, all buildings will have principals, all buildings will have individuals to monitor students in the hall and in the cafeteria," said Hite.
This money only carries the district through the first semester. The schools are still waiting for Gov. Corbett to release $45 million from Harrisburg, and that is largely contingent on current labor negotiations with the teacher's union.
The district is demanding the union contribute over $130 million in givebacks, wage cuts and contributions to their healthcare costs.
The union's public stance has been no way. But negotiations continue, with the contract expiring Saturday night at midnight.
"I'm more concerned with making sure our schools open with the personnel needed in order to run a school, and that schools are not a warehouse," said Philadelphia Federation of Teachers president Jerry Jordan.
So public schools like West Philadelphia High are set to re-open on September 9th, albeit with a skeleton staff.
The teacher's union has scheduled a mass membership meeting for next Monday, Labor Day, which may or may not be the ideal time for a strike vote.
philadelphia, school, children, philadelphia school district, local/state, vernon odom
- Snow today, heavy at times 31 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm 45 min ago
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- Video: David Henry on snow at Rittenhouse Sq. 40 min ago
- Video: Nora Muchanic on snow in Trenton 49 min ago
- Video: John Rawlins on snow in Norristown
- Gunman fires shots through window, teens wounded
- Heavy flames damage Southwest Philadelphia house
- Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy
- Arrest made in Beats headphone murder
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition
- Snow today, heavy at times
31 min ago
- David Henry on snow at Rittenhouse Sq.
40 min ago
- Nora Muchanic on snow in Trenton
49 min ago