Students among victims of serial robber in Powelton
POWELTON - August 26, 2013 (WPVI) -- Two college students are among the victims of a serial robber targeting Philadelphia's Powelton neighborhood.
In all, there have been robberies at five different locations since August 13th. The robberies have been close to the campuses of both Drexel University and the University of Pennsylvania.
One of the victims, a visiting Penn State student, was shot and wounded.
"We're very concerned about the actions of this person. He's already fired one shot, striking a person," said Lt. John Walker of the Philadelphia Police.
That student, a 19-year-old, was in the area of 40th and Powelton back on Thursday when he was approached by the suspect who demanded money and personal belongings.
There was a struggle and the victim was shot in the groin. He was treated and released from the hospital.
Police believe the same suspect, who may have an accomplice acting as a lookout, has struck at least four other times.
-On August 13th, a 27-year-old woman was robbed at gunpoint at 35th and Spring Garden.
-On August 14th, a 43-year-old man was robbed at 40th and Lancaster.
-On August 18th, a 25-year-old woman was robbed a 42nd and Baring.
-On Saturday, the suspect targeted three people at 37th and Spring Garden around 1:15 a.m. One of those victims was a Drexel student.
Students say they aren't surprised to hear of so many young people being targeted, especially as a new school year starts.
"New kid are coming in, they don't necessarily know how bad it is sometimes," said Drexel student Chuck Green.
"I think some students forget that this isn't a bubble and we are in a city that has crime issues currently," said Drexel student Lilly Costa.
Police are encouraging students to take advantage of courtesy shuttles and public safety escorts.
Also, police say, if you do become the victim of a robbery, don't fight back. Just give up your personal items, which can be replaced.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Philadelphia Police at 215-686-TIPS (8477), text a tip to PPD TIP (773847) or through PhillyPolice.com.
philadelphia, robbery, local/state
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days 48 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Oil slick, debris not from missing Malaysia jet
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
- Video: Skydiver's 'chute gets tangled in plane 2 min ago
- Photos: Kevin Grow joins Harlem Globetrotters
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Skydiver's 'chute gets tangled in plane
2 min ago