Students among victims of serial robber in Powelton
POWELTON - August 26, 2013 (WPVI) -- Two college students are among the victims of a serial robber targeting Philadelphia's Powelton neighborhood.
In all, there have been robberies at five different locations since August 13th. The robberies have been close to the campuses of both Drexel University and the University of Pennsylvania.
One of the victims, a visiting Penn State student, was shot and wounded.
"We're very concerned about the actions of this person. He's already fired one shot, striking a person," said Lt. John Walker of the Philadelphia Police.
That student, a 19-year-old, was in the area of 40th and Powelton back on Thursday when he was approached by the suspect who demanded money and personal belongings.
There was a struggle and the victim was shot in the groin. He was treated and released from the hospital.
Police believe the same suspect, who may have an accomplice acting as a lookout, has struck at least four other times.
-On August 13th, a 27-year-old woman was robbed at gunpoint at 35th and Spring Garden.
-On August 14th, a 43-year-old man was robbed at 40th and Lancaster.
-On August 18th, a 25-year-old woman was robbed a 42nd and Baring.
-On Saturday, the suspect targeted three people at 37th and Spring Garden around 1:15 a.m. One of those victims was a Drexel student.
Students say they aren't surprised to hear of so many young people being targeted, especially as a new school year starts.
"New kid are coming in, they don't necessarily know how bad it is sometimes," said Drexel student Chuck Green.
"I think some students forget that this isn't a bubble and we are in a city that has crime issues currently," said Drexel student Lilly Costa.
Police are encouraging students to take advantage of courtesy shuttles and public safety escorts.
Also, police say, if you do become the victim of a robbery, don't fight back. Just give up your personal items, which can be replaced.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Philadelphia Police at 215-686-TIPS (8477), text a tip to PPD TIP (773847) or through PhillyPolice.com.
philadelphia, robbery, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Sunny and chilly
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia 35 min ago
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ