Mom charged after child found in car in Northeast Philadelphia identified
NORTHEAST PHILADELPHIA - August 26, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police have identified the mother who was arrested after her toddler was found alone in a car in a Northeast Philadelphia shopping center.
Jasmine Ingram, 24, of the 100 block of East Godfrey Avenue, has been charged with endangering the welfare of a child and recklessly endangering another person.
Ingram was arrested after the incident on Monday evening in the 9700 block of Roosevelt Boulevard.
Police say it was about 5:30 p.m. when a pedestrian reported that someone had gone shopping at Walmart and left a toddler sweating profusely in a car with the windows rolled up.
She eventually came out, saw what was happening, ran to the car and locked herself in, refusing to come out or let police take the child.
Eventually the child's father showed up on the scene and convinced her to unlock the door so he could retrieve the one-year-old girl.
But after the child had been removed, Ingram continued to stay locked in the car for some time, refusing to come out.
Police say she eventually unlocked the door. She was taken into custody and transported to the Special Victims Unit. Ingram was then arraigned and released on her own recognizance.
The child was taken to an area hospital for treatment and is said to be okay.
The girl has been released to the custody of her father.
philadelphia, northeast philadelphia, rescue, children, police, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ