Sarah Murnaghan out of the hospital and back home
NEWTOWN SQUARE, Pa. - August 27, 2013 (WPVI) -- It is the day one Delaware County family has been praying for. Today, 11-year-old Sarah Murnaghan went home from Children's Hospital of Philadelphia after undergoing two double lung transplants.
Sarah suffers from cystic fibrosis and spent six months in the hospital. Her need for new lungs sparked a national debate on how donor organs are assigned.
Now, she will finish her recovery at home.
When she arrived home just before 10:00 a.m., Sarah said, "There's no place like home." That is of course understandable after having spent the last six months in the hospital.
The 11-year-old survived two double lung transplants in June. She was battling end stage cystic fibrosis.
Sarah's story sparked a national debate on how transplant recipients are prioritized. It led to a change in policy, at least for now, allowing kids under 12 to receive adult donor lungs if feasible instead of having to wait for pediatric lungs.
Her road to recovery has not been easy, but she says she's not going for easy. But as she told a reporter from CNN in the final days of her hospital stay, Sarah said she's not going for easy.
Sarah said, "I'm just going for possible, and what's in front of me right now is possible."
"She's going to fight, she's going to be OK," said Sarah's mother, Janet Murnaghan. "I fully plan on watching her graduate from college and watch her get married some day and do whatever it is she wants to do."
For the first two weeks Sarah will have fulltime nurses helping her with her recovery. After that, nurses will be with her part time. And beginning on September 9th, the school district is going to send someone to the home so that Sarah can start on her classwork.
pennsylvania news, surgery, local/state
- Multi-vehicle crash closes EB Pa. Turnpike
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Volleyball coach accused sex with student 5 min ago
- Shots fired at home in Lower Gwynedd 22 min ago
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Temps Soar