Bensalem woman charged in North Philadelphia stabbing death
PHILADELPHIA - August 29, 2013 (WPVI) -- A suburban Philadelphia woman has been charged in the stabbing death of an acquaintance during an argument in north Philadelphia over the weekend.
Fifty-three-year-old Sherry Johnson of Bensalem is charged with murder and possessing an instrument of crime in the death of 50-year-old Alverta Armstrong.
Police said Armstrong was stabbed in the stomach and legs early Sunday and found lying in a north Philadelphia street. She was pronounced dead shortly before 3:30 a.m. at Temple University Hospital.
Police said Johnson and Armstrong were acquaintances and the stabbing happened after an argument, but they didn't say what the dispute was about.
Johnson remained in custody pending a Sept. 11 hearing; court records indicate that she will be represented by the Defender Association of Philadelphia but don't list an attorney for her.
philadelphia, north philadelphia, bucks county news, pennsylvania news, stabbing, homicide, local/state
- Montco DA: Drug ring targeted schools; 8 arrested 17 min ago
- Sunny today, more clouds tomorrow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd 50 min ago
- Woman's body found in Pa. excavation storage site 15 min ago
- Medical chopper called to crash on Route 55 43 min ago
- Jogger helps rescue man from Schuylkill River
- Photos: Pictures from NJ skydiving accident
- Boston Marathon begins under tight security 1 min ago
- SKorean president: Ferry crew actions 'murderous' 24 min ago
- Surveillance expected from Target heist
- Teen stowaway survives flight in landing gear
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd
50 min ago