Several car tires slashed in South Philadelphia
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - August 31, 2013 (WPVI) -- Residents in one South Philadelphia neighborhood awoke to find several of their car tires slashed on Saturday.
It was an unwelcomed 6:00 a.m. wake up call for Yukari Chilnik of the 2600 hundred block of Juniper Street.
"I opened the window, looked up this way and saw a bunch of teenagers," said Chilnik.
Chilnik says she ran outside after the giggling group of teens but they got away. She looked down and saw the damage they left behind - several car tires slashed.
"It's really amazing that somebody's foibles can cause someone else money and time," said Herb Chilnik.
Police say at least five cars on the block were hit by a group of about five teens.
The Chilniks watched as their vandalized vehicle was towed away on a flatbed.
Gus Rossi says he was notified by police that he, too, was a victim.
"I just put them tires on there to get the car passed through inspection," said Rossi.
Now Rossi, who lives on a fixed income, is forced to pay another hefty bill.
Residents are sharing in his frustration.
"When everyone gets vandalized, it's disgraceful," said Bridget Marinelli.
Police say they plan to review surveillance footage to help piece the crime together.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Philadelphia Police at 215-686-TIPS (8477), text a tip to PPD TIP (773847) or through PhillyPolice.com.
philadelphia, south philadelphia, vandalism, local/state
- Snow today, heavy at times
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm 53 min ago
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps 5 min ago
- Video: Annie McCormick in Mobile 6 on I-76 30 min ago
- Video: David Henry on snow at Rittenhouse Sq.
- Video: John Rawlins on snow in E. Norriton
- Video: Nora Muchanic on snow in Trenton
- Video: Katherine Scott on snow in Delaware
- Gunman fires shots through window, teens wounded
- Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy
- Arrest made in Beats headphone murder
- Annie McCormick in Mobile 6 on I-76
30 min ago