2 Made in Amerca festival goers sexually assaulted, police say
PHILADELPHIA - September 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police are investigating two reported rapes, where both victims had attended the Made in America music festival.
Police say at 12:06 a.m. Sunday a 22-year-old woman met 26-year-old Ankara Demir at the Made in America event and asked to use his cell phone.
According to authorities, Demir told the woman that she could use his house phone because he lived nearby.
The 22-year-old woman went with him to his home in the 2000 Block of Arch Street. That's when, police say, Demir sexually assaulted her.
The woman was able to run out of the house after the assault and contact police.
Demir was taken into custody and is charged with rape, sexual assault and related charges.
The other reported sexual assault occurred at 6:30 p.m. Saturday in the 2200 block of Spring Garden Street.
Police say a 24-year-old woman leaving the music festival flagged down what she believed to be a taxi.
When she got in the vehicle, police say a man in the back seat began to sexually assault her as another man drove around.
The victim was then forced out of the vehicle at 10th and Catherine Streets where she called police.
The suspects also robbed the woman of $41.
Philadelphia Police Special Victims Unit are searching for the two suspects.
philadelphia, spring garden, sex assault, local/state
- Apartments evacuated in Bucks Co. hazmat investigation 24 min ago
- Sunny and Cooler!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia 17 min ago
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino 37 min ago
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ