Delaware gears up for annual coastal cleanup
DOVER, Del. (AP) - September 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- State environmental officials are reminding Delawareans that there's still time to sign up for the annual Delaware Coastal Cleanup.
Volunteers are encouraged to sign up before the preregistration deadline of Sept. 9 on the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control website. That will help ensure that enough supplies are packed for each cleanup site, including the 2013 Coastal Cleanup T-shirt.
This year's cleanup will be held on Sept. 21, targeting nearly 50 sites in New Castle, Kent and Sussex counties. The annual cleanup spans Delaware's 97-mile eastern coastline and includes river and ocean shorelines as well as wetland and watershed areas.
Last year, some 1,400 volunteers collected 7.8 tons of trash from more than 40 sites along Delaware's shorelines and tributaries.
delaware news, local/state
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports 41 min ago
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hit and run victim found near Wilmington road
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks
- Grandmother sentenced in Pa. baby's 2009 death 4 min ago
- Funeral for Nelson Mandela to be held Dec. 15th
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News
- Police question suspect in Christmas package theft
- Pa. man gets probation for 105 animals in mobile home
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep