Delaware gears up for annual coastal cleanup
DOVER, Del. (AP) - September 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- State environmental officials are reminding Delawareans that there's still time to sign up for the annual Delaware Coastal Cleanup.
Volunteers are encouraged to sign up before the preregistration deadline of Sept. 9 on the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control website. That will help ensure that enough supplies are packed for each cleanup site, including the 2013 Coastal Cleanup T-shirt.
This year's cleanup will be held on Sept. 21, targeting nearly 50 sites in New Castle, Kent and Sussex counties. The annual cleanup spans Delaware's 97-mile eastern coastline and includes river and ocean shorelines as well as wetland and watershed areas.
Last year, some 1,400 volunteers collected 7.8 tons of trash from more than 40 sites along Delaware's shorelines and tributaries.
delaware news, local/state
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City 49 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- 76ers owner Harris calls 19-win season 'success'
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Bride gets help after banquet closes
- Worth the wait: Easter treats in Philadelphia
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
49 min ago