Phila. organization helps disadvantaged men find jobs
PHILADELPHIA - September 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- They are veterans, recovering substance abusers, the disabled and ex-offenders and they are all finding new futures with an organization called MenzFit.
35-year-old Damon Harris has returned home to Philadelphia after serving 13 years in federal prison.
He currently lives in a halfway house and is trying to find his way back to a better life.
With the help of Menzfit, he's able to start the process.
"I'm able to get a suit, do job training, they give me travel fare," said Harris.
The program has a host of volunteers and other organizations that help lead men like Harris to productive lives.
"I'm certified through CTS to be a forklift driver. I had a few interviews," said Harris.
Elamin Wilkins also lives in a halfway house, after serving six years in prison.
"It's not an easy job coming back to society and maintaining without the help of others," said Wilkins.
On this day, he's looking for shoes to go with the gray suit he's chosen for a mock job interview that night.
In their mock interviews, Harris and Wilkins test the techniques they've learned with MenzFit.
Rhonda Willingham founded this program in Washington, D.C. in 2001 then brought it home to Philadelphia six years ago.
It started with just the clothing service, but she's added a full career development service as well.
"We really want to take more of a holistic approach to how we help these guys, not only with their jobs but as they navigate through life," said Willingham.
MenzFit recognizes that men need the same employment and supportive services that have long been made available to women.
For more on this organization visit: MenzFit.org.
philadelphia, employment, local/state, lisa thomas-laury
- Plane towed, probe begins in gear collapse 6 min ago
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Search for missing jet expands toward Indian Ocean
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash
- Fire damages Flap Jacks restaurant on City Avenue
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Pictures of suspects in Logan murder
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Plane towed, probe begins in gear collapse
6 min ago