Motorcyclist falls off bike, hit by cars in Newark, Delaware
NEWARK, Del. - September 3, 2013 (WPVI) -- The motorcyclist killed in a crash on Tuesday morning in Newark, Delaware has been identified.
Delaware State Police say Richard Correll Jr., 58, of Newark, died after he was run over by two vehicles after falling off his bike.
The crash happened at 5:16 a.m. on Capitol Trail (St. Rt. 2), west of Cordele Road.
Police Correll was driving in the eastbound lanes when a Ford Escape was being backed out of a driveway, in front of Correll.
Correll hit the brakes and laid the motorcycle on its side, falling off of it.
As Correll was lying in the road, police say he was hit by two vehicles. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver of one of those vehicles stopped after the accident. However, the driver of the other vehicle kept on going, police said.
Anyone with information about the second vehicle that struck Correll is asked to call 302-834-2620 extension 287.
No charges have been filed as this investigation continues.
Capitol Trail was closed in both directions for approximately two-and-a-half hours while police investigated and cleared the crash.
delaware news, accident, motorcycles, local/state
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today 59 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Delco 2nd grade teacher groped girls in class 32 min ago
- Montco 3rd grader hospitalized with meningitis infection
- Phila. cop charged with false imprisonment 21 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from East Harlem explosion
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars 34 min ago
- NJ teen who sued parents returns home 26 min ago
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars
34 min ago