Motorcyclist falls off bike, hit by cars in Newark, Delaware
NEWARK, Del. - September 3, 2013 (WPVI) -- The motorcyclist killed in a crash on Tuesday morning in Newark, Delaware has been identified.
Delaware State Police say Richard Correll Jr., 58, of Newark, died after he was run over by two vehicles after falling off his bike.
The crash happened at 5:16 a.m. on Capitol Trail (St. Rt. 2), west of Cordele Road.
Police Correll was driving in the eastbound lanes when a Ford Escape was being backed out of a driveway, in front of Correll.
Correll hit the brakes and laid the motorcycle on its side, falling off of it.
As Correll was lying in the road, police say he was hit by two vehicles. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver of one of those vehicles stopped after the accident. However, the driver of the other vehicle kept on going, police said.
Anyone with information about the second vehicle that struck Correll is asked to call 302-834-2620 extension 287.
No charges have been filed as this investigation continues.
Capitol Trail was closed in both directions for approximately two-and-a-half hours while police investigated and cleared the crash.
delaware news, accident, motorcycles, local/state
- Skydiver ID'd in fatal Washing Twp. accident
- 70s Return This Week
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $10K to $30K stolen in Target armed robbery
- I-95 reopens after car catches fire
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Residents displaced after West Philadelphia fire
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash
- Camden teen reported missing 57 min ago
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite 55 min ago
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom...
55 min ago