Motorcyclist falls off bike, hit by cars in Newark, Delaware
NEWARK, Del. - September 3, 2013 (WPVI) -- The motorcyclist killed in a crash on Tuesday morning in Newark, Delaware has been identified.
Delaware State Police say Richard Correll Jr., 58, of Newark, died after he was run over by two vehicles after falling off his bike.
The crash happened at 5:16 a.m. on Capitol Trail (St. Rt. 2), west of Cordele Road.
Police Correll was driving in the eastbound lanes when a Ford Escape was being backed out of a driveway, in front of Correll.
Correll hit the brakes and laid the motorcycle on its side, falling off of it.
As Correll was lying in the road, police say he was hit by two vehicles. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver of one of those vehicles stopped after the accident. However, the driver of the other vehicle kept on going, police said.
Anyone with information about the second vehicle that struck Correll is asked to call 302-834-2620 extension 287.
No charges have been filed as this investigation continues.
Capitol Trail was closed in both directions for approximately two-and-a-half hours while police investigated and cleared the crash.
delaware news, accident, motorcycles, local/state
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ