Motorcyclist falls off bike, hit by cars in Newark, Delaware
NEWARK, Del. - September 3, 2013 (WPVI) -- The motorcyclist killed in a crash on Tuesday morning in Newark, Delaware has been identified.
Delaware State Police say Richard Correll Jr., 58, of Newark, died after he was run over by two vehicles after falling off his bike.
The crash happened at 5:16 a.m. on Capitol Trail (St. Rt. 2), west of Cordele Road.
Police Correll was driving in the eastbound lanes when a Ford Escape was being backed out of a driveway, in front of Correll.
Correll hit the brakes and laid the motorcycle on its side, falling off of it.
As Correll was lying in the road, police say he was hit by two vehicles. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver of one of those vehicles stopped after the accident. However, the driver of the other vehicle kept on going, police said.
Anyone with information about the second vehicle that struck Correll is asked to call 302-834-2620 extension 287.
No charges have been filed as this investigation continues.
Capitol Trail was closed in both directions for approximately two-and-a-half hours while police investigated and cleared the crash.
delaware news, accident, motorcycles, local/state
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- Woman killed in Germantown was Villanova prof. 24 min ago
- Stranded family found alive in Nevada
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia
- Obama hails Mandela as "last great liberator"
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm
- Video: Prankster glues woman to Home Depot toilet
- Nelson Mandela lies in state in Pretoria,...
32 min ago