Scrap metal truck drops engine on car on Rt. 202 in Upper Merion Twp.
UPPER MERION TWP., Pa. - September 4, 2013 (WPVI) -- A woman was seriously injured when a truck carrying scrap metal spilled its load onto her car on Route 202 in Montgomery County.
The accident happened just before 6:30 a.m. Wednesday at the I-76 westbound ramp to Route 202 South in Upper Merion Township.
According to police, the tractor-trailer partially tipped over while navigating the ramp from I-76, spilling scrap metal over a side jersey barrier and onto the Gulph Road onramp to Route 202 South.
Officials say an engine in the debris from the truck landed on top of a 2004 Toyota Corolla on Route 202, trapping a woman inside.
A tow truck crane was used to lift the engine off the car so that the woman could be rescued from the vehicle.
The woman, identified as 46-year-old Janice Storms of Lansdale, was then rushed to the trauma center at Paoli Hospital with serious injuries.
The driver of the tractor-trailer, 44-year-old Vernon Smith of Egg Harbor, New Jersey, suffered only minor injuries in the incident.
Highway ramps in the area of the crash were closed for hours after the wreck.
However, the scene has since been cleared and the ramps are now open.
There is no word yet on how this crash happened.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Tpr. Thomas Falco, PSP Philadelphia at 215-452-5216.
montgomery county news, pennsylvania news, accident, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday 30 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Milder Monday
30 min ago