Scrap metal truck drops engine on car on Rt. 202 in Upper Merion Twp.
UPPER MERION TWP., Pa. - September 4, 2013 (WPVI) -- A woman was seriously injured when a truck carrying scrap metal spilled its load onto her car on Route 202 in Montgomery County.
The accident happened just before 6:30 a.m. Wednesday at the I-76 westbound ramp to Route 202 South in Upper Merion Township.
According to police, the tractor-trailer partially tipped over while navigating the ramp from I-76, spilling scrap metal over a side jersey barrier and onto the Gulph Road onramp to Route 202 South.
Officials say an engine in the debris from the truck landed on top of a 2004 Toyota Corolla on Route 202, trapping a woman inside.
A tow truck crane was used to lift the engine off the car so that the woman could be rescued from the vehicle.
The woman, identified as 46-year-old Janice Storms of Lansdale, was then rushed to the trauma center at Paoli Hospital with serious injuries.
The driver of the tractor-trailer, 44-year-old Vernon Smith of Egg Harbor, New Jersey, suffered only minor injuries in the incident.
Highway ramps in the area of the crash were closed for hours after the wreck.
However, the scene has since been cleared and the ramps are now open.
There is no word yet on how this crash happened.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Tpr. Thomas Falco, PSP Philadelphia at 215-452-5216.
montgomery county news, pennsylvania news, accident, local/state
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Bitter Blast Thursday
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings 54 min ago
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- Upper Darby man accused of burning son, 3
- Prosecutor: no charges against George Zimmerman
- Protestors block ICE building in Spring Garden
- Shooting victim drives to Broad St. police station 28 min ago
- Power returns after outage at Christiana Mall 21 min ago
- New video shows deadly Asiana jet crash
- Woman killed in Germantown was Villanova prof.
- On video: Robber dives thru window, attacks clerk
- Women sentenced in murder of Danny DeGennaro