Trenton mayor announces plan to fight crime
TRENTON, N.J. - September 4, 2013 (WPVI) -- Mayor Tony Mack, under intense pressure to do something about Trenton's crime rate, has announced several new initiatives to help the violence-plagued city.
At a news conference on Wednesday, Mack said that his plans include a new police task force to target 15 high-crime areas.
This comes as Trenton has said a record for the number of murders in a year, with the 32nd homicide just last week.
"Police officers and specialized units would target those areas," Mack said.
The mayor also said new surveillance cameras will also be installed in those areas.
What Mack didn't say is when any of this will happen, because the city doesn't have the money.
Mack said he is asking for help from the state legislature, sending them a letter asking for $5.5 million to hire 75 police officers.
"Many of the crime issues that are plaguing the city of Trenton are directly correlated to the layoffs of 106 officers and the loss of an additional 140 officers through attrition," said Police Director Ralph Rivera.
However, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie has been ignoring Mack, saying he won't deal with a mayor under indictment.
Mack has pleaded not guilty to federal bribery charges.
Many relatives of murder victims attended the news conference. They joined the growing ranks of critics calling on the mayor to resign.
"How can you help my family and my community with this if you won't step down?" said Laurie White, the mother of a murder victim.
Mack ignored calls for his resignation.
new jersey news, trenton, local/state
- Apartments evacuated in Bucks Co. hazmat investigation 38 min ago
- Sunny and Cooler!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ