4 cars burned in Lawndale in possible arson
PHILADELPHIA - September 5, 2013 (WPVI) -- A number of vehicles went up in flames overnight in Philadelphia's Lawndale section, and police believe the cars may have been torched.
One woman owns two of the vehicles that now sit melted and charred in a small open lot on the 500 block of Gilham Street in Lawndale, right off Rising Sun Avenue. Owners came by this morning, collecting items and surveying the damage in all four vehicles. Passers-by stopped to inspect the scene as well.
Jack Leslie, of Northeast Philadelphia, tells us, "Well I have looked at them, they all look like total wrecks. I used to restore cars. Whoever did it meant business."
A 911 call came in at 3:55 a.m. Thursday. The fire crews were quickly on scene to extinguish the flames that ravaged the vehicles - a Mercury Sable, Ford Explorer, Cadillac Escalade and Chryster 300.
Preliminary information indicates that two of the cars were damaged after the fire spread from the other two vehicles.
Investigators don't know yet what started the fires, but authorities are looking to see if the blaze was started intentionally. A K-9 unit was brought to the scene to sniff around the charred vehicles in an attempt to detect any ignitable fluids.
Samples were taken from different spots as authorities continue to work to determine if this was indeed arson.
Police plan to pull surveillance footage from nearby businesses in hopes they can get some help in this case.
fire, lawndale news, philadelphia news, local/state
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos