Newark father accused of murder in baby's death
NEWARK, Del. - September 5, 2013 (WPVI) -- A man from Newark, Delaware has been indicted on murder charges in the death of his 3-month-old daughter.
James Love, 40, was charged with Murder by Abuse or Neglect for the death of the girl last summer.
Attorney General Beau Biden said on Thursday that paramedics were called to Love's home in the Carlton Court Apartments on August 7, 2012 after Love called 911 to say the baby was not breathing.
Biden said the girl, who was in the sole care of Love at the time, was unresponsive. The girl was rushed to the hospital but died two days later.
Police said an autopsy concluded that the girl died of multiple blunt force injuries and Love was responsible.
"The death of this young child shocks the conscience of us all," Biden said in a written statement. "Children are especially vulnerable to violent and abusive behavior by those who are responsible for their care and we're using the full force of the law to hold this individual accountable for his actions."
At the time of this week's indictment Love was already serving a prison sentence for a February, 2013 conviction for unlawful sexual contact.
Love was arraigned in prison on Wednesday.
delaware news, newark, del. news, child abuse, homicide, local/state
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Man targeted in hit-and-run crash 49 min ago
- NJ woman: Dog and TV stolen on 1st date 32 min ago
- Prescription drug ring busted at Aria-Torresdale Hospital 35 min ago
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Search teams recover body of 13th Sherpa
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police