Kitchen fire started apartment building blaze in Bear, Delaware
BEAR, Del. - September 5, 2013 (WPVI) -- The Delaware State Fire Marshal says a kitchen fire started an apartment blaze in Bear that left one person critically injured.
Investigators say Monday's fire originated inside a third floor apartment at the Village of Canterbury complex.
A 51-year-old man remains hospitalized in critical condition.
Damage is estimated at $1 million.
The Red Cross is assisting more than 20 displaced residents.
Firefighters were hampered fighting the blaze because of a gas line that ruptured and ignited. The heat from the impact also caused an air conditioner to explode.
A total of 12 units were destroyed.
delaware news, new castle county news, fire, local/state
- Apartments evacuated in Bucks Co. hazmat investigation 29 min ago
- Sunny and Cooler!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia 10 min ago
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash 54 min ago
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd. 46 min ago
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ