Kitchen fire started apartment building blaze in Bear, Delaware
BEAR, Del. - September 5, 2013 (WPVI) -- The Delaware State Fire Marshal says a kitchen fire started an apartment blaze in Bear that left one person critically injured.
Investigators say Monday's fire originated inside a third floor apartment at the Village of Canterbury complex.
A 51-year-old man remains hospitalized in critical condition.
Damage is estimated at $1 million.
The Red Cross is assisting more than 20 displaced residents.
Firefighters were hampered fighting the blaze because of a gas line that ruptured and ignited. The heat from the impact also caused an air conditioner to explode.
A total of 12 units were destroyed.
delaware news, new castle county news, fire, local/state
- Suspects tie up 71-year-old in home invasion
- Bitter Blast Thursday
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Worker shocked by electrical cable in East Falls
- Bandit holds up TD Bank in Chestnut Hill
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Shooting victim drives to Broad St. police station
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Video: Cover Story: Can Foles break jinx?