Man who sold gun that killed Ofc. Brad Fox seeks lesser sentence
NORRISTOWN, Pa. - September 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Philadelphia man who pleaded guilty to buying a gun later used by another man to kill a police officer is seeking a reduced sentence, saying a "circus atmosphere" at the hearing resulted in an "unduly harsh" penalty.
Michael Henry, 31, was sentenced last month in Montgomery County Court to 20 to 66 years in prison following his plea to charges in the illegal sale or transfer of nine firearms and lying on gun purchase applications.
Prosecutors said one of the weapons was used to kill Plymouth Township Officer Bradley Fox a year ago. Gunman Andrew Thomas, 44, later killed himself as police pursued him.
Defense attorney Craig Hosay argued that the judge shouldn't have allowed testimony about the officer's death and ignored Henry's acceptance of responsibility and cooperation with authorities, The (Pottstown) Mercury said.
Hosay also said prosecutor's should not have been allowed to show a video presentation of President Barack Obama referring to Fox at a national event honoring fallen police officers and photos of a Penn State monument on which he is honored. He said that, and testimony from relatives of the victim, would have been appropriate at a sentencing hearing for Thomas - "the actual murderer" - but had only limited relevance to his client's case. --
Information from: The Mercury
pennsylvania news, montgomery county news, guns, shooting, police, local/state
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Clouds to sun, cool today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist 27 min ago
- 12 dead in Mt. Everest avalanche 46 min ago
- Hate messages sprayed on W. Amwell business 14 min ago
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sinking ferry 12 min ago
- Driver killed in collision with taxi cab in Olney
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- Photos: Suspects in Ocean Co. child porn sweep
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Bucks Co.
- Twin boys fight off carjacker with toy snake
1 min ago