Cause of death released for Philadelphia Zoo gorilla
PHILADELPHIA - September 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- Experts at the Philadelphia Zoo have determined why a beloved gorilla died during a surgical procedure last month.
Jabari, a Western Lowland Gorilla, was anesthetized and all indications were he was not experiencing any problems.
However officials say swelling in his throat blocked air from getting into his lungs, and he died.
Tests have determined that a bacterial infection on his tongue produced the swelling that led to his death. The source of the infection is unknown.
Jabari came to the Philadelphia Zoo from the St. Louis Zoo on July 13, 2004. He was 28 years old when he died.
philadelphia news, animals, philadelphia zoo news, local/state
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95 3 min ago
- Snow/ Sleet Arriving 54 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- PennDOT preps begin ahead of wintry mix
- Man shot, killed in West Oak Lane
- $10K reward in murder of Chester gas station owner
- Suspects sought in carjacking, abduction
- Underground transformer fire in Center City
- Police: Pa. newlyweds killed man from Craigslist
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay
- NJ officers play Santa for 'Shop with a Cop'
- Pearl Harbor ceremonies marks bombing anniversary
- Campbell Soup apologizes for SpaghettiOs Pearl Harbor tweet
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
3 min ago
- Snow/ Sleet Arriving
54 min ago