Cause of death released for Philadelphia Zoo gorilla
PHILADELPHIA - September 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- Experts at the Philadelphia Zoo have determined why a beloved gorilla died during a surgical procedure last month.
Jabari, a Western Lowland Gorilla, was anesthetized and all indications were he was not experiencing any problems.
However officials say swelling in his throat blocked air from getting into his lungs, and he died.
Tests have determined that a bacterial infection on his tongue produced the swelling that led to his death. The source of the infection is unknown.
Jabari came to the Philadelphia Zoo from the St. Louis Zoo on July 13, 2004. He was 28 years old when he died.
philadelphia news, animals, philadelphia zoo news, local/state
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man shot by off-duty cop during fight ID'd
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Police investigate 2 shootings at illegal Trenton bar
- Man arrested after Phila. police crash, chase ID'd 36 min ago
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery 39 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from the 2014 Red Ball