Concerns remain ahead of Philadelphia schools' opening day
PHILADELPHIA - September 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- Summer vacation is just about over for Philadelphia public school students.
More than 290 public schools open Monday, with several thousand fewer staffers than last year.
The district maintains staffing will be adequate for safe operations, but some parents are unconvinced.
"I think it's going to be understaffed," said Phillip Aiken of Parents United Philadelphia.
"Sometimes the little kids get bullied, and sometimes the big kids get bullied. It all depends. You can have a seventh grader with an eighth grader picking on him. But you still need enough staff to be around," said parent Latonia Fletcher.
Long before she started a Charter School, Veronica Joyner founded a school advocacy group. She has written to Superintendent William Hite.
She fears there could be violence in some newly-merged high schools, specifically Ben Franklin and Martin Luther King.
"My concern is that there are different turfs and different neighborhoods. And there are longstanding feuds between these particular schools," said Joyner. "It could explode. In my opinion we are putting together gasoline and fire."
That is a provocative statement. The principal of Franklin High said Friday such concerns are unfounded and there is no indication of potential turf issues.
At MLK, which is merging with Germantown High, there have been several events this summer to ease the transition.
A quartet of soccer players told us no one expects a resurgence of historic rivalries. Quite the opposite, in fact.
"We had a little block party, and everybody came to meet up and get their school uniform shirts," said Randolph Edwards.
"I don't think there's going to be any trouble at all," said Junior LaCroix. "There was no trouble at the block party. There was no trouble."
philadelphia news, education, philadelphia school district, local/state, john rawlins
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 52 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air 47 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Mutilated animal in Brewerytown possibly a bobcat
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom 15 min ago
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute
- Wynnewood community mourns college student's death
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship 52 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp....
52 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
47 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos