Hundreds of discount wedding dresses on sale for charity
CENTER CITY - September 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- Hundreds of wedding gowns are on sale for a terrific cause in Center City - it's all a part of the Brides Against Breast Cancer Tour of Gowns.
The big pink truck pulled up behind the Le Meridian Hotel.
Racks of wedding gowns came rolling off, nearly 1,000 designer and brand-name gowns, all available Friday and Saturday, at discounts up to 85 percent.
"This gown was a couture gown, retailing in boutiques and bridal shops for $7,000 and we're selling it for $3,400," said Amy Paulishak, VP of Nationwide Tour of Gowns.
The National non-profit Brides Against Breast Cancer, makes it possible for future brides to purchase designer gowns at dramatic savings.
The prices range from $99 to $4,000 on dresses worth up to $20,000.
The tour is in its 16th year, with all the proceeds going to cancer patients.
"And we travel to over 120 cities a year on our charity bridal tour. We are thrilled that the Delaware Valley is supporting us in such a great way here," said Paulishak.
The gowns will be displayed in Le Meridien's Trumbauro Ballroom, with 30 local vendors providing accessories, food and music.
Volunteers, like Tamika Williams, whose mother was diagnosed with breast cancer last October, helped prepare for Friday's first showing.
"I felt inspired to come out and volunteer and do all that I can to get the word out and support an awesome cause. Women who go through breast cancer and are survivors are awesome women. They're just rock stars to me," said Williams.
Nearly 200 brides-to-be and their guests are expected at Friday's VIP showing, which is sold out.
Then the showing continues on Saturday morning at 10:00 a.m.
Brides will be lined up at the door waiting to find the perfect gown for the big day.
Last year, the $2 million raised went to families impacted by cancer. This year organizers expect to double that number.
philadelphia news, center city news, weddings, cancer, local/state, lisa thomas-laury
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- ID theft warrant leads to pot bust in Hamilton Twp.
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more