Philadelphia libraries provide homework help for children
PHILADELPHIA - September10, 2013 (WPVI) -- Once kids get back to school, predictable things follow, like homework. It takes a certain discipline to return to the nightly routine, and your child will probably do just fine. But if there's ever a question, where do you turn?
Parents are the usual first resource, and your child's teacher is probably a close second. But here in Philadelphia, there's a virtual army of experts ready to do more and at no cost to you.
The city's 53 libraries are committed to after-school activities that can help with almost any homework concern.
First, there's walk-in help after school.
It's likely your child could stop at a library between school and home and meet a professional ready to assist with questions.
Librarians can point out resources right on their shelves. After dinner, there's more.
The Free Library's offers nightly help for every subject in every grade taught in the city system.
You'll find a link in the orange "Ask" box. You'll be asked to sign in with your library card.
You can apply for one online if you don't have one. Anyone who lives, works or attends school in Philadelphia is eligible. But the website does far more than offer help with nightly homework.
There's a section offering practice versions of standardized tests like the ACT and the SAT.
Before paying for tutoring at one of those walk-in prep centers, try these practice exams which show just what the tests are like. They self-score as soon as you're finished.
There are also versions of tests you need to take when seeking admission to various graduate programs.
The Free Library also has partnerships with Philadelphia institutions like the Franklin Institute, enriching education in critical areas like science. Again, access is free if you have a library card.
This year's homework help program is vastly updated from even a year ago.
You'll find new emphasis in literacy, and in the "STEM" program...science, technology, engineering and math...that schools are featuring this year.
children, school, philadelphia news, local/state
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run 24 min ago
- Breezy And Mild!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Driver crashes SUV into pole in East Falls, DUI suspected
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Authorities: Chris Brown arrested on warrant
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos