Philadelphia libraries provide homework help for children
PHILADELPHIA - September10, 2013 (WPVI) -- Once kids get back to school, predictable things follow, like homework. It takes a certain discipline to return to the nightly routine, and your child will probably do just fine. But if there's ever a question, where do you turn?
Parents are the usual first resource, and your child's teacher is probably a close second. But here in Philadelphia, there's a virtual army of experts ready to do more and at no cost to you.
The city's 53 libraries are committed to after-school activities that can help with almost any homework concern.
First, there's walk-in help after school.
It's likely your child could stop at a library between school and home and meet a professional ready to assist with questions.
Librarians can point out resources right on their shelves. After dinner, there's more.
The Free Library's offers nightly help for every subject in every grade taught in the city system.
You'll find a link in the orange "Ask" box. You'll be asked to sign in with your library card.
You can apply for one online if you don't have one. Anyone who lives, works or attends school in Philadelphia is eligible. But the website does far more than offer help with nightly homework.
There's a section offering practice versions of standardized tests like the ACT and the SAT.
Before paying for tutoring at one of those walk-in prep centers, try these practice exams which show just what the tests are like. They self-score as soon as you're finished.
There are also versions of tests you need to take when seeking admission to various graduate programs.
The Free Library also has partnerships with Philadelphia institutions like the Franklin Institute, enriching education in critical areas like science. Again, access is free if you have a library card.
This year's homework help program is vastly updated from even a year ago.
You'll find new emphasis in literacy, and in the "STEM" program...science, technology, engineering and math...that schools are featuring this year.
children, school, philadelphia news, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 56 min ago
- Freeze Warning overnight 54 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Trash truck overturns on Rt. 130 in Pennsauken
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Burlco man charged in brother's hit-and-run death
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident
- Search for missing teenager in Camden
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
- Photos: Royal family kicks off tour of Australia
- Freeze Warning overnight
54 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos