Police-involved shooting leaves one person wounded in Sharon Hill, Pa.
SHARON HILL, Pa. - September 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities are investigating a police-involved shooting in Sharon Hill, Delaware County.
It happened after 3:30 p.m. Monday in the 1000 block of Chester Pike.
Police say an officer stopped a white Nissan for a traffic violation.
They say the driver got out, ran down Chester Pike toward Barker Avenue, then crouched behind a car.
Police say he then pulled out a handgun and started firing at the officer.
The officer shot back, hitting the suspect twice.
The suspect, a man in his 30's, was taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in stable condition.
The officer was not injured.
Police say as many as 12 shots were fired between the officer and the suspect. Investigators did recover a weapon at the scene.
There was no immediate word why the man was running from police.
pennsylvania news, shooting, police, delaware county news, local/state
- Police: Missing boy struck by car
- Temps soar above normal
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
- No jackets for North Philadelphia cheer squad 47 min ago
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Police: Threat to father used in phone scam
- Stolen cobalt-60 found abandoned in Mexico
- Report: NSA tracks billions of cellphones daily
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up teen's rape
- Prosecutor: Sex investigation of FSU QB over
- Photos: 6abc at Q102 Jingle Ball 2013
- Video: 20th annual Phila. holiday tree lighting