Police-involved shooting leaves one person wounded in Sharon Hill, Pa.
SHARON HILL, Pa. - September 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities are investigating a police-involved shooting in Sharon Hill, Delaware County.
It happened after 3:30 p.m. Monday in the 1000 block of Chester Pike.
Police say an officer stopped a white Nissan for a traffic violation.
They say the driver got out, ran down Chester Pike toward Barker Avenue, then crouched behind a car.
Police say he then pulled out a handgun and started firing at the officer.
The officer shot back, hitting the suspect twice.
The suspect, a man in his 30's, was taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in stable condition.
The officer was not injured.
Police say as many as 12 shots were fired between the officer and the suspect. Investigators did recover a weapon at the scene.
There was no immediate word why the man was running from police.
pennsylvania news, shooting, police, delaware county news, local/state
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Easter Sunshine 24 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Elderly man struck, killed in Rhawnhurst
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Crimefighters: Reward in Camden drive-thru murder
- Divers pull more bodies from South Korean ferry
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Easter Sunshine
24 min ago