On Video: Bank robber uses patrons as human shields in Frankford
PHILADELPHIA - September 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- The FBI has moved in to help Philadelphia Police track down a dangerous armed robber.
The suspect threatened clerks and customers last week in Frankford.
In chilling surveillance video obtained exclusively by Action News, the bandit holds a gun to the back of the head of a bank customer.
The customer is an 87-year-old Korean War veteran.
"During the robbery, the robber became frustrated with the tellers as they were trying to comply with his demands," said FBI Special Agent John Coyle. "He produced a handgun and held it to the back of another customer's head."
It happened at 9:00 a.m. Tuesday at the 3rd Federal Bank branch in the 4600 block of Frankford Avenue.
"Once the robber received his sack of money from the tellers," said Coyle, "he then grabbed another male customer and used that customer as a human shield as he made his way out the rear doors of the bank."
The surveillance pictures obtained by Action News show the bandit wearing a dark colored baseball cap and hoodie.
The FBI describes him as a black male about 5' 11" tall. He was believed to be wearing blue and white sneakers as he fled, running down Paul Street towards Orthodox.
"And you can certainly see what he's doing in terrorizing the elderly gentleman," said Coyle. "We're hoping that someone who knows the robber will appreciate the wrongfulness of what he did and call in the information about the guy."
The FBI says the suspect should be considered armed and dangerous.
If you see him they ask you not to approach him and call the FBI at 215-418-4000 or simply call 911.
philadelphia news, bank robbery, caught on camera, local/state, dann cuellar
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- Mostly sunny, very windy today 22 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man critical after police-involved shooting 19 min ago
- Fire damages corner store in North Phila. 9 min ago
- 3 shot during funeral at Trenton church
- Serial burglar strikes South Phila. businesses
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Middle Township crash
- 6abc viewer helps police nab $18K jewelry suspect
- Arrest warrant issued in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Police release surveillance of Target heist
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Man critical after police-involved shooting
19 min ago
- Fire damages corner store in North Phila.
9 min ago
- Dying dog in Canada has bucket list
15 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos