Miss America state shoes unveiled for NJ parade
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. - September 10, 2013 (WPVI) -- Organizers of the 2014 Miss America pageant couldn't wait until Saturday night's traditional "show us your shoes" parade to unveil the state-themed footwear the contestants will wear.
Hours before preliminary competition was to begin Tuesday night, pageant organizers displayed the shoes as they basked in the competition's return to the place where it began in 1921.
"It's a monumental thing we've done, bringing back Miss America to Atlantic City," said Sam Haskell, CEO of the Miss America Organization. "We had to go to the desert for a couple years, but we're back!"
The pageant has returned to Atlantic City after a six-year stint in Las Vegas.
One of the pageant's most beloved traditions is the shoe parade, held on the Boardwalk the night before the finale. On Tuesday, the state-themed shoes of all 53 contestants were unveiled.
Miss Florida's shoes depicted alligators, Miss Indiana's had basketballs and hoops, Miss New Jersey had sea shells and Miss Arizona's had a cactus.
Miss Louisiana's shoes had a Mardi Gras theme, with multi-colored feathers and sequins. Several state contestants decorated boots as their footwear, including Miss Kentucky, and Miss South Dakota opted for metal-studded black leather boots that resemble those worn by Kiss bass player Gene Simmons.
The 53 hopefuls - one from each state as well as Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and the District Of Columbia - compete in Boardwalk Hall. They'll receive scores in categories including talent, swimwear and evening wear, and onstage interviews.
The new Miss America will be crowned during Sunday night's nationally televised broadcast, seen locally on 6abc.
It begins Sunday night at 7:00 p.m. with an hour-long special, "Countdown to the Crown." After that, abc's 20/20 presents "Pageant Confidential."
Then at 9:00, you can see the pageant live in its entirety on 6abc.
new jersey news, miss america, atlantic city news, jersey shore news, local/state
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run 21 min ago
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup 8 min ago
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course 5 min ago
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
1 min ago