Body found amid search for missing Gloucester County woman
WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP, N.J. (AP) - September 10, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police discovered a body Tuesday afternoon as they searched for a missing Gloucester County woman who disappeared after entering woods near her home.
39-year-old Renee Sheppard was reported missing by her family last Thursday morning after going for a walk along a creek in Washington Township.
Sheppard, who now resides in Colorado, was visiting her parents, who last saw her at 9:45 a.m. that day.
Authorities say she was carrying a book and had her cellphone with her.
Around noon Tuesday, authorities discovered her cell phone while searching the 500-acre wooded area.
Then, just after 3:00 p.m., a woman's body was discovered in a nearby ravine.
While there has not been a positive ID, investigators believe it is the body of Sheppard.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
new jersey news, missing person, body found, local/state
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser 7 min ago
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- 76ers owner Harris calls 19-win season 'success'
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Bride gets help after banquet closes
- Worth the wait: Easter treats in Philadelphia
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show