Body found amid search for missing Gloucester County woman
WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP, N.J. (AP) - September 10, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police discovered a body Tuesday afternoon as they searched for a missing Gloucester County woman who disappeared after entering woods near her home.
39-year-old Renee Sheppard was reported missing by her family last Thursday morning after going for a walk along a creek in Washington Township.
Sheppard, who now resides in Colorado, was visiting her parents, who last saw her at 9:45 a.m. that day.
Authorities say she was carrying a book and had her cellphone with her.
Around noon Tuesday, authorities discovered her cell phone while searching the 500-acre wooded area.
Then, just after 3:00 p.m., a woman's body was discovered in a nearby ravine.
While there has not been a positive ID, investigators believe it is the body of Sheppard.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
new jersey news, missing person, body found, local/state
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up teen's rape
- Clouds, some sun, mild today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 911 calls from Newtown, CT shooting released
- Walker autopsy complete; 'Fast & Furious 7' halted
- Photos: Paul Walker: Pictures of crash scene, vigil
- Suspect in killing of fmr. Marine surrenders
- Attack in Center City caught on camera 39 min ago
- Police: Threat to father used in local scam
- Hunting Park standoff ends with surrender
- Ocean County police to carry heroin antidote
- Sophia, Jackson most popular baby names of 2013
- Photos: Open House: Pat Croce's $7.95M mansion