Upper Darby day care operator left child in hot car, police say
UPPER DARBY, Pa. - September 12, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a day care operator left a 5-year-old boy in a hot vehicle for several hours.
Norma Davis, 58, of Yeadon was charged with endangering the welfare of a child and reckless endangering.
Police in Upper Darby said Davis picked up the child, along with two other children, from the Park Lane Elementary School in Darby and took them back to the PNP Family Play Center at 53 N. Union Ave.
It was around 6:00 p.m. when the child's mother came to pick him up, Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood said, and was told the child wasn't there.
"So they go about and look in the automobiles and laying in the back seat, unconscious, is the 5-year-old," Chitwood said.
Chitwood said the child was taken to Children's Hospital of Philadelphia in critical condition. He has since been upgraded to good condition.
"Half an hour longer and we'd probably be looking at a homicide," said Upper Darby Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood.
Davis is free on $50,000 bail after spending the night in jail.
The daycare is licensed by the New Jersey Department of Welfare. However, a review of inspection records found that the facility had 30 incidents of non-compliance in 2012.
In one case, 12 kids were left unattended in a room. In another, it was found that the facility didn't have a proper emergency plan.
All of the violations were corrected.
pennsylvania news, delaware county news, upper darby, local/state
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- Mostly sunny, very windy today 28 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man critical after police-involved shooting 9 min ago
- Fire damages corner produce store in North Philly 23 min ago
- 3 shot during funeral at Trenton church
- Serial burglar strikes South Phila. businesses
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Middle Township crash
- 6abc viewer helps police nab $18K jewelry suspect
- Arrest warrant issued in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Police release surveillance of Target heist
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
28 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos