Upper Darby day care operator left child in hot car, police say
UPPER DARBY, Pa. - September 12, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a day care operator left a 5-year-old boy in a hot vehicle for several hours.
Norma Davis, 58, of Yeadon was charged with endangering the welfare of a child and reckless endangering.
Police in Upper Darby said Davis picked up the child, along with two other children, from the Park Lane Elementary School in Darby and took them back to the PNP Family Play Center at 53 N. Union Ave.
It was around 6:00 p.m. when the child's mother came to pick him up, Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood said, and was told the child wasn't there.
"So they go about and look in the automobiles and laying in the back seat, unconscious, is the 5-year-old," Chitwood said.
Chitwood said the child was taken to Children's Hospital of Philadelphia in critical condition. He has since been upgraded to good condition.
"Half an hour longer and we'd probably be looking at a homicide," said Upper Darby Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood.
Davis is free on $50,000 bail after spending the night in jail.
The daycare is licensed by the New Jersey Department of Welfare. However, a review of inspection records found that the facility had 30 incidents of non-compliance in 2012.
In one case, 12 kids were left unattended in a room. In another, it was found that the facility didn't have a proper emergency plan.
All of the violations were corrected.
pennsylvania news, delaware county news, upper darby, local/state
- Skydiver ID'd in fatal Washing Twp. accident 29 min ago
- 70s Return This Week
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $30K possibly stolen in Target armed robbery
- I-95 reopens after car catches fire 23 min ago
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash 50 min ago
- Camden teen reported missing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- Skydiver ID'd in fatal Washing Twp. accident
29 min ago