$20,000 reward offered in shooting of Camden school bus
CAMDEN - September 13, 2013 (WPVI) -- The Citizens Crime Commission is administering a $20,000 reward for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person who opened fire, hitting a school bus in Camden, New Jersey.
Gunfire erupted around 3:30 p.m. Thursday in the area of Ferry Avenue and South 9th Street in Camden.
The bus full of 3 to 5 year olds were coming home from the Centerville Head Start daycare just a few blocks away when police say a man wearing a black hoodie and carrying a rifle opened fire from Phillips Street.
The suspect fired 14 rounds at the Branch Village housing complex. There were no serious injuries, but one child was hit by fragments.
"One of the mothers found a small burn mark on the upper back of her 4-year-old son," said Camden County Police Chief Scott Thomson. "The child was taken to the hospital. He was treated. His health is fine."
Police say a stray bullet also pierced the front fender of a school bus.
Parents arriving to pick up their children were angry.
"I'm just too overwhelmed right now, I can't get it together; I'm still shaking," parent Shanice Williams said.
"It's to the point now anger is a very soft word, this is ridiculous. This makes no sense at all. Children are involved in this that's doing the shooting and children are being hit by these bullets," parent Jeanine Freeman said.
Police believe the shooting is drug and gang-related.
new jersey news, camden county news, shooting, school bus, local/state
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm 32 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- On video: Robber dives thru window, attacks clerk
- Woman killed in Germantown was Villanova prof.
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Pa. girl, 18, survives bear attack 26 min ago
- Man shot, killed on Kensington street
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia
- Mega Millions jackpot climbs; $1M ticket sold in NJ 32 min ago
- Pope Francis 'Person of the Year'; popularity surges 51 min ago
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial 54 min ago
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
32 min ago
- Katherine Scott reports on bitter cold...
43 min ago
- Pope Francis 'Person of the Year';...
51 min ago