Atlantic City counting down to Miss America's big night
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. - September 13, 2013 (WPVI) -- Atlantic City is ready for the return of Miss America on primetime television on 6abc.
Before the weekend's events, we got a preview of what's ahead before Sunday night's big broadcast.
The Show Us Your Shoes Parade takes place Saturday. We got a first look at some of the 53 entries in the parade. The floats were getting the finishing touches Friday afternoon.
The contestants will parade down the boardwalk in their state-themed shoes, wearing eccentric attire to match.
Also Friday afternoon, Miss America 2013 Mallory Hagan and Miss New Jersey 1971 Lynn Hackerman Weidner hosted a luncheon at the Palm Restaurant in the Tropicana.
For the first time in eight years this competition will be broadcast live from Boardwalk Hall on 6abc. The live show will be hosted by Good Morning America's Lara Spencer and the host of ABC's The Bachelor, Chris Harrison.
At a news conference Friday afternoon, the two talked about the return of this pageant to Atlantic City and how it's a bright spot for this state following such tragedy.
"Just like the Super Bowl for New Orleans, it doesn't fix everything. It doesn't make everything better. But it does show the steps that have been taken to rebuild," said Harrison.
"I feel like it's such a great shot in the arm," said Spencer. "And I feel a personal responsibility that we do it right and that we make it great and that tomorrow the parade is phenomenal. And now, given the fires, I feel like it's just very, very important."
This is the fifth time Chris Harrison will be hosting the live broadast and the fourth time in a row. Lara Spencer was a national judge back in 2012.
We also heard from the show's producer Friday afternoon. He said the iconic Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, New Jersey and all this state has been through in the last year will be prominently featured in Sunday night's broadcast on 6abc.
The festivities begin at 7:00 p.m. with an hour-long special, "Countdown to the Crown." After that, ABC's 20/20 presents "Pageant Confidential."
Then at 9:00, you can see the pageant live in its entirety on 6abc.
new jersey news, miss america, atlantic city news, jersey shore news, local/state, sarah bloomquist
- Person of interest ID'd in hit-and-run 16 min ago
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Flyers rally to beat Rangers 4-2, even series 34 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Video: 5,000 turn out for Easter service in Mt. Airy
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Video: Snowmobiler charged by angry moose