Cedarbrook Middle School to reopen after mold problems
WYNCOTE, Pa. - September 13, 2013 (WPVI) -- Cedarbrook Middle School is 43 years old now, and, over the summer, it started showing its age.
Custodians found a thin coating of mold covering just about every surface in the school including desks, chairs, walls, ceilings and floors.
It happened on July 18th and officials say it was caused by sweaty, cold water pipes in the cooling system.
Since then the school has mounted a massive cleanup and remediation effort that kept their school closed an extra two weeks.
Teachers were allowed back in Friday to start setting up their classrooms.
All 700 seventh and eighth graders will be back in class Monday morning. None too soon for their parents.
Henry Albert's son Cory will be entering eighth grade.
"I spent two weeks trying to pry my son's nose off the computer screen," said Albert.
John Leonard is also anxious to get his daughter back in school.
"She's been enjoying her extra two weeks vacation," said Leonard.
If some parents are reluctant, the school is assuring them the building is entirely mold free.
"There were 125 air quality tests prior to us coming back into the building today and they are going to be continuing to test on a regular basis," said
The teachers are ready to get to work, and they're not worried the kids might have gotten a bit stale.
"Kids never get moldy, they always get more and more excited so they're probably looking forward to coming back to school too," said Michele Darden.
The school district also says they have made arrangements for students to make up the seven lost days without extending the school year into next summer.
pennsylvania news, montgomery county news, school, local/state, david henry
- 3 beach homes destroyed in Sea Isle City fire
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire 47 min ago
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom 15 min ago
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine