Rotting meat causing stink near burned Dietz and Watson plant
DELANCO, N.J. - September 13, 2013 (WPVI) -- A new problem is plaguing neighbors near the Dietz and Watson plant destroyed by fire.
The distribution center in Delanco, Burlington County burned September 1st.
Now a certain stench has permeated the air.
"Stinkin'," said Joe Mourey. "Stinks out of this world."
Mourey likes to sit on his front porch. But racks of rancid Dietz and Watson meats charred by a fire nearly two weeks ago and sitting out under the hot sun since have kept him from doing it.
"The daughter actually got sick from it," said Mourey. "And my wife wasn't feeling too hot either."
"It's a shame this place caught on fire," said Al Kelley. "Now we are going into two weeks since the people who are suffering are us."
These Beverly Township neighbors are often downwind from the plant, and they are fed up. They say they've called Dietz and Watson, Delanco Township offiicals and the health department. But the cleanup remains stagnant.
"This is our first day of reprieve," said Kelley. "The wind is always blowing this way and we are smelling the rancid meat that is still on the racks in the building. It's horrible."
The Burlington County Health Department tells Action News the rotten meat doesn't pose a health risk. The department says it issued a letter to Dietz and Watson last week demanding the meat be cleaned up immediately.
Flare up fires have hampered cleanup efforts, and the health department says the company is apparently awaiting the go-ahead from its insurance company.
"Too much red tape, like everything else," said Mourey. "Too much red tape."
Dietz and Watson has not returned our phone calls. And our efforts to reach township officials have been unsuccessful.
new jersey news, burlington county news, fire, local/state, chad pradelli
- Photos: Weekend storm forecast maps
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app 10 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police search for missing Rider University student 49 min ago
- Tennis coach charged with corruption of minors
- Arrest made after taxi carjacking in South Phila. 55 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $425-million 38 min ago
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Police: Driver dies in crash after fleeing 2 others
- Laundromat robbed in Cedarbrook 39 min ago
- Stolen Xmas decorations returned in Berks Co.
- Video captures Manayunk market break-in
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Eva Pilgrim on highway storm preparations
28 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $425-million
38 min ago
- Army, Navy teams compete in Rocky Relay
21 min ago