Swatting hoax prompts bomb squad in Marple Township
MARPLE TWP., Pa. - September 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- Law enforcement from around Delaware County responded to a home in Marple Township for a hostage situation that turned out to be a hoax.
Authorities were called to the 200 block of Carlton Drive Monday afternoon where a 911 caller claimed a man had a bomb inside.
Roads were shut down and robots were deployed.
Officers stood by with guns drawn, but soon investigators realized it was all a prank.
"There were some inconsistencies we were getting from the 911 center in caller information," Marple Township Police Chief Tom Murray said.
SWAT units went in, but the homeowner was down at the shore.
It appears it was a prank called swatting - the act of tricking emergency services into dispatching resources to a home.
High profile actors Ashton Kutcher, Tom Cruise, and the Kardashians have all reportedly been the victim of swatting.
Last week, California's governor signed a new law where swatters or their parents will be responsible for the total cost of a response which sometimes can be more than $100,000.
Marple police say they have no suspects.
Investigators are still working to trace the origin of the call, but they vow they'll bring the full force of the law down on them
"Nobody needs this. The neighborhood doesn't need this. They deserve to be secure in their homes, not have something like this unfold on their streets," Murray said.
Many law enforcement agencies are refusing to comment or even confirm swatting incidents because officials say it seems to encourage more pranks.
pennsylvania news, delaware county news, hoax, local/state, chad pradelli
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man shot by off-duty cop during fight ID'd
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del. 58 min ago
- Police investigate 2 shootings at illegal Trenton bar 40 min ago
- Man arrested after Phila. police crash, chase ID'd 7 min ago
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery 10 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from the 2014 Red Ball