Police: Driver speeding crashes into pillar under SEPTA tracks
PHILADELPHIA - September 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police say a speeding SUV crashed into a pillar under SEPTA's El line and burst into flames in the city's Port Richmond section early Tuesday morning.
The accident happened around 2:30 a.m. on the 2800 block of Kensington Avenue.
According to police, a 32-year-old man in an SUV was traveling at a high rate of speed when he struck a pillar under the SEPTA tracks.
The car caught on fire and the victim was trapped and had to be extricated.
He was taken to Temple University Hospital with multiple injuries.
The force of the crash was so violent, the SUV's engine flew out of the vehicle.
accident, SEPTA, port richmond news, philadelphia news, local/state
- 2 NYC buildings collapse in explosion, 1 dead 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Video: Raw video from scene of NYC explosion 28 min ago
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars 2 min ago
- Photos: Pictures of smashed police car, station...
- Montco 3rd grader hospitalized with meningitis infection 8 min ago
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak 1 min ago
- Sandusky's wife: Victims manipulated over money
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
- Carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase 6 min ago
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Raw video from scene of NYC explosion
28 min ago