Police: Driver speeding crashes into pillar under SEPTA tracks
PHILADELPHIA - September 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police say a speeding SUV crashed into a pillar under SEPTA's El line and burst into flames in the city's Port Richmond section early Tuesday morning.
The accident happened around 2:30 a.m. on the 2800 block of Kensington Avenue.
According to police, a 32-year-old man in an SUV was traveling at a high rate of speed when he struck a pillar under the SEPTA tracks.
The car caught on fire and the victim was trapped and had to be extricated.
He was taken to Temple University Hospital with multiple injuries.
The force of the crash was so violent, the SUV's engine flew out of the vehicle.
accident, SEPTA, port richmond news, philadelphia news, local/state
- Center City rape victims speaks to Action News
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler 42 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- 2 women hospitalized after Schuylkill Expy. crash 27 min ago
- Mattress catches fire in townhouse in White Marsh 28 min ago
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia
- Restaurant owner slashes robber with sushi knife
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Surveillance: Christmas packages stolen from home
- Fmr. Marine's murder suspect held on $2M bail
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep
- 2 women hospitalized after Schuylkill Expy....
27 min ago