Police: Driver speeding crashes into pillar under SEPTA tracks
PHILADELPHIA - September 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police say a speeding SUV crashed into a pillar under SEPTA's El line and burst into flames in the city's Port Richmond section early Tuesday morning.
The accident happened around 2:30 a.m. on the 2800 block of Kensington Avenue.
According to police, a 32-year-old man in an SUV was traveling at a high rate of speed when he struck a pillar under the SEPTA tracks.
The car caught on fire and the victim was trapped and had to be extricated.
He was taken to Temple University Hospital with multiple injuries.
The force of the crash was so violent, the SUV's engine flew out of the vehicle.
accident, SEPTA, port richmond news, philadelphia news, local/state
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend 50 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Is it time for smart watches?
- Video: Train nearly hits senator