Soccer player arrested for head-butting referee in Delaware
NEW CASTLE, Del., - September 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- New Castle County Police have arrested a soccer player after a referee was head-butted after issuing a penalty during a game.
Forty-two-year-old Moises Velazquez of Newark has been charged with abuse of a sports official /assault in the third degree.
Police say Velazquez was on a team that was playing at Rogers Manor Park about 6:45 p.m. Sunday.
Officers say the referee called a penalty on one of Velazquez's teammate for using profanity.
Authorities say Velazquez grabbed the referee by the shoulders and head butted him, striking his nose. The referee refused medical treatment.
delaware news, assault, new castle county news, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington 18 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 53 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls 44 min ago
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
53 min ago