Soccer player arrested for head-butting referee in Delaware
NEW CASTLE, Del., - September 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- New Castle County Police have arrested a soccer player after a referee was head-butted after issuing a penalty during a game.
Forty-two-year-old Moises Velazquez of Newark has been charged with abuse of a sports official /assault in the third degree.
Police say Velazquez was on a team that was playing at Rogers Manor Park about 6:45 p.m. Sunday.
Officers say the referee called a penalty on one of Velazquez's teammate for using profanity.
Authorities say Velazquez grabbed the referee by the shoulders and head butted him, striking his nose. The referee refused medical treatment.
delaware news, assault, new castle county news, local/state
- Homes damaged by Ocean County forest fire 24 min ago
- Winds Ease Overnight 19 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Wedding crashers caught on camera
- Photo released of suspect in WCU indecent assault 38 min ago
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co.
- 2 attempted lurings near Upper Merion school
- 1 dead in shooting near Widener University
- Package prompts evacuation in Evesham
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 3 American doctors killed in Afghanistan
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts
- School stops serving Mountain Dew before tests
- Winds Ease Overnight
19 min ago
- Homes damaged by Ocean County forest fire
24 min ago
- Trenton pastors make a stand against violence
16 min ago
- Millions heading to Rome as 2 popes become...
35 min ago