Woman thwarts water department imposter
NEWARK, Del. - September 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- A woman from Newark, Delaware talked to Action News about how she thwarted a water department imposter.
The woman, who didn't want us to show her face or use her name, said she was suspicious from the start on Sunday.
"There was nothing quite right about anything," she said.
She said a young man in an orange safety vest knocked on the door of her Orchard Road home.
He said he was from the Water Department and had to get into her house to see if her water was muddy due to a broken main.
"And I said I want to see your badge," she said.
When the man wouldn't produce ID, she stepped outside, locked the door behind her, and offered to walk him to the outside spigot.
When she continued to refuse him entry, he left in a white truck. The woman then called police.
As it turns out, a similar incident had occurred the day before in the 300 block of Phillips Avenue. In that incident, a man in a safety vest also said he had to check the water. That man then pushed his way into an elderly woman's home.
"She asked him to provide identification, he wasn't able to provide any. She asked him to leave, he didn't immediately comply and she ended up pushing him out of the door," said Lt. Mark Farrall of the Newark Police Dept.
Lieutenant Farrell says it's likely the man was trying to get into the homes to steal valuables.
While the two incidents in Newark occurred on the same weekend, and just streets apart, they are not isolated. In fact, police in New Castle County issued a warning about a similar scam being run up there.
Tim Filaski of the Newark Public Works Department says it's rare for Water Department workers to visit homes, unless they've been called by the homeowner. He also said real Water Department employees are easy to spot.
"You'll see the logo on the side of the truck and they'll also have identification badges with them," he said.
Anyone else who's been a victim of this scam is asked to call police.
delaware news, newark, del. news, fraud, local/state
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- Slightly Cooler Sunday 43 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen 52 min ago
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Fairy Godmothers make prom dreams come true
16 min ago
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
43 min ago
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
52 min ago