Dump truck overturns on Route 1 in Delaware
MIDDLETOWN, Del. - September 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- An overturned dump truck shut down the northbound lanes of Route 1 in Middletown, Delaware Wednesday morning.
It happened at 5:30 a.m. near Route 299 in Middletown.
Images from Chopper 6 HD showed the truck on its side and a load of what appeared to be sand spread on the road and in the median.
Delaware State Police say the truck driver swerved to avoid hitting a car that pulled onto the roadway from the right shoulder.
Police say 25-year-old Joshua Thompson of Smyrna, the driver of the dump truck, was treated at a hospital for minor injuries. The driver of the car, 75-year-old Ted Schaum of Viola, was not injured.
Schaum was cited in the crash.
Part of Route 1 was shut down following the crash. All lanes were back open by 9:30 a.m.
delaware news, accident, local/state
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos