Dump truck overturns on Route 1 in Delaware
MIDDLETOWN, Del. - September 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- An overturned dump truck shut down the northbound lanes of Route 1 in Middletown, Delaware Wednesday morning.
It happened at 5:30 a.m. near Route 299 in Middletown.
Images from Chopper 6 HD showed the truck on its side and a load of what appeared to be sand spread on the road and in the median.
Delaware State Police say the truck driver swerved to avoid hitting a car that pulled onto the roadway from the right shoulder.
Police say 25-year-old Joshua Thompson of Smyrna, the driver of the dump truck, was treated at a hospital for minor injuries. The driver of the car, 75-year-old Ted Schaum of Viola, was not injured.
Schaum was cited in the crash.
Part of Route 1 was shut down following the crash. All lanes were back open by 9:30 a.m.
delaware news, accident, local/state
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested 39 min ago
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Is it time for smart watches?