Wife fends off burglar with wrench in Port Richmond
PHILADELPHIA - September 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police say a woman who was being assaulted with her husband in their Port Richmond home fended off her attacker with a wrench.
The incident happened around 1:00 a.m. on the 2000 block of East Madison Street.
Police say a 70-year-old man was sleeping upstairs and his 49-year-old wife was asleep downstairs on the sofa when two armed men kicked in the front door.
One burglar ran upstairs, attacked the man and ransacked a room.
The other burglar attacked the man's wife, and police say that's when she hit him with a large wrench.
Both men fled the scene.
The woman was taken to the hospital for treatment. Her husband was treated at the scene.
It's unclear what, if anything, was taken from the home.
The search is on for both suspects.
home invasion, beating, port richmond news, philadelphia news, local/state
- Arctic Blast and Possible Weekend Storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- PennDOT clears roads of snow, preps for ice
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Police search for burglar targeting Philly restaurants
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- No bail for 2 charged in Philly collapse
- Obama hails Mandela as "last great liberator"
- $344M Mega Millions numbers drawn
- 6 missing adults, children found alive in Nevada
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)