Something mAAgic Foundation gives Disney trip to Spring Lake boy
RALEIGH DURHAM INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT -- Four-year-old Teddy's dream has come true -- he and his family are headed to Disney World thanks to a non-profit organization.
The little boy from Spring Lake was selected along with 36 other children from all over the world who have life-threatening medical conditions.
Teddy has an enlarged heart and severe muscle spasms that can leave him in immense pain. His condition requires him to constantly monitor his heart. But for now, he is all smiles as a he enjoys a special sendoff.
"It's a nice break, to me it's a respite care, we get to go with no worries, no doctors appointments," said Teddy's mom Crystal Phillips-Hagler.
The mAAgic flight is an annual event through American Airlines' Something mAAgic Foundation. The group flies families to Disney where they then stay in a special village that caters to children with special needs.
"It gives the kids a chance, families a chance to get away when, I mean without this, we wouldn't be going on any trips," said Phillips-Hagler.
The timing is great, not only for Teddy as he deals with his ailments, but also for his younger sister Tory who has a host of other medical problems. Tory is expected to lose her vision within the next few months.
The families get to fly for free and their flights were paid for by people who donated their own frequent flier miles to the Something mAAgic Foundation.
"It's a godsend, and it's not just the organization it's the donors. If they can donate, and help, you know, it changes lives," Phillips-Hagler said.
north carolina news, raleigh durham airport, cumberland county news, local/state, caitlin knute
- Skydiver ID'd in fatal Washing Twp. accident 12 min ago
- 70s Return This Week
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $30K possibly stolen in Target armed robbery
- I-95 reopens after car catches fire 6 min ago
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash 33 min ago
- Camden teen reported missing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- Skydiver ID'd in fatal Washing Twp. accident
12 min ago