Teen killed in Durham crash on Highway 55
DURHAM -- A 16-year-old was killed late Friday afternoon in a two-car accident on N.C. Highway 55 south of Riddle Road.
The accident happened shortly before 4:30 p.m. when a northbound Honda driven by Tyreic Elyja Hemphill, of Durham, crossed the median and drove into the path of a southbound Oldsmobile driven by 36-year-old Patrick Bailey, of Durham.
Police say Bailey tried to avoid the crash but was unable to avoid a collision. Both vehicles went down an embankment.
Hemphill was trapped inside his vehicle and had to be extricated by firefighters. He was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead a short time later.
Hemphill was a student at Jordan High School in Durham.
Bailey was taken to the hospital for non-life threatening injuries.
The accident remains under investigation.
Speed and alcohol do not appear to be factors in the accident.
north carolina news, durham county news, accident, local/state
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- Tracking Weekend Storm 58 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash 7 min ago
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering 1 min ago
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges 28 min ago
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- 800K in danger of ID theft after laptop theft 38 min ago
- Suspect sought after West Philadelphia bank robbery 20 min ago
- North Korea executes Kim Jong Un's uncle
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- DA: Woman stole $81K from Montco church 52 min ago
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees
- On video: serial smash-and-grab burglar in...
51 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos