New investigation on missing DA in Sandusky case
BELLEFONTE, Pa. (AP) - September 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police are investigating a tip a missing prosecutor connected to former Pennsylvania State University assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky's child sex abuse case was killed and dumped in a mine shaft.
Bellefonte police Detective Matthew Rickard says the tip regarding the 2005 disappearance of Centre County District Attorney Ray Gricar is being investigated and the FBI is involved.
Gricar decided not to charge Jerry Sandusky in 1998 after a boy's mother complained to State College police about abuse.
Gricar was declared dead this year at his daughter's request.
The Altoona Mirror newspaper reported Friday that Gricar's nephew says he takes the new claim with a grain of salt because there have been so many false leads over the years.
Sandusky was convicted last year of child sexual abuse but says he's innocent.
pennsylvania news, jerry sandusky, penn state, local/state
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport 16 min ago
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday 34 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Search for missing jet expands toward Indian Ocean 42 min ago
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash 7 min ago
- Fire damages Flap Jacks restaurant on City Avenue 44 min ago
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Pictures of suspects in Logan murder
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies 15 min ago
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday
34 min ago
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila....
16 min ago
- Man mistaken for dead passes away
12 min ago
- Fire damages Flap Jacks restaurant on City...
44 min ago