University of Delaware Rugby Club banned after party turns violent
NEWARK, Del. - September 24, 2013 (WPVI) -- The University of Delaware Rugby Club has been banned for five years following a party that led to a rampage in Newark.
The huge beer bash was hosted by residents of a home in the 400 block of South College Avenue. It's known as the Rugby House because it houses members of the University of Delaware Men's Rugby Club.
The club will not be able to play or practice at university facilities until 2018.
Police say the party hosts encouraged the excessive behavior that led to a near-riot in downtown Newark.
The president of the Rugby Club said the organization is appealing the suspension. He says the party wasn't sanctioned by the club and that its 80 members shouldn't be penalized for the actions of the two students who staged the party.
Those two hosts have been arrested, as have one of the young men who jumped onto a Mustang on High Street. The owner says it caused $5,400 damage.
Police have also arrested a photographer who was working for "I'm Shmacked," the company that stages the parties and then posts videos of drunken college kids.
The University of Delaware says the rugby club is suspended because its members violated the School's code of Conduct by hosting the party.
Newark police continue their investigation as they try to identify 11 more vandals. And they say they are also looking at possible criminal charges against the people behind "I'm Shmacked."
Anyone with information is asked to contact Detective Greg E. Micolucci at (302) 366-7110 x132.
delaware news, newark, del. news, university of delaware, local/state
- Building under demolition collapses in Old City 4 min ago
- Windy and cold today 55 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3rd suspect ID'd in Exton jewelry store theft 50 min ago
- Saints will trade Sproles to Eagles; Birds sign Carroll
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- Malaysia: No debris in area shown on China images
- 2 weeks after waking up in body bag, Miss. man dies 26 min ago
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
- High winds cause damage across the region
- Photos: Pictures from Thursday's wind damage
- Christie talks taxes at town hall meeting 57 min ago
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad