University of Delaware Rugby Club banned after party turns violent
NEWARK, Del. - September 24, 2013 (WPVI) -- The University of Delaware Rugby Club has been banned for five years following a party that led to a rampage in Newark.
The huge beer bash was hosted by residents of a home in the 400 block of South College Avenue. It's known as the Rugby House because it houses members of the University of Delaware Men's Rugby Club.
The club will not be able to play or practice at university facilities until 2018.
Police say the party hosts encouraged the excessive behavior that led to a near-riot in downtown Newark.
The president of the Rugby Club said the organization is appealing the suspension. He says the party wasn't sanctioned by the club and that its 80 members shouldn't be penalized for the actions of the two students who staged the party.
Those two hosts have been arrested, as have one of the young men who jumped onto a Mustang on High Street. The owner says it caused $5,400 damage.
Police have also arrested a photographer who was working for "I'm Shmacked," the company that stages the parties and then posts videos of drunken college kids.
The University of Delaware says the rugby club is suspended because its members violated the School's code of Conduct by hosting the party.
Newark police continue their investigation as they try to identify 11 more vandals. And they say they are also looking at possible criminal charges against the people behind "I'm Shmacked."
Anyone with information is asked to contact Detective Greg E. Micolucci at (302) 366-7110 x132.
delaware news, newark, del. news, university of delaware, local/state
- Arctic Blast and Possible Weekend Storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- PennDOT clears roads of snow, preps for ice
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Police search for burglar targeting Philly restaurants
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- No bail for 2 charged in Philly collapse
- Obama hails Mandela as "last great liberator"
- $344M Mega Millions numbers drawn
- 6 missing adults, children found alive in Nevada
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)