Circuit failure delays Amtrak in Metro-North area
PHILADELPHIA - September 25, 2013 (WPVI) -- A broken circuit serving Metro-North Railroad interrupted rail service in Connecticut on Wednesday, snarling rush-hour and afternoon commutes into New York City and disrupting some Amtrak service as far south as Washington.
The delays began when a high-voltage feeder cable failed at about 5:20 a.m. in Mount Vernon, N.Y., a suburb of New York. Con Edison, the utility serving the New York City area, said another feeder was out on scheduled repair for Metro-North equipment upgrades.
Metro-North first halted service between Stamford and New York's Grand Central Terminal, then provided diesel-powered trains running in both directions once an hour. Crowds of passengers packed the platform at the Stamford station.
Metro-North spokeswoman Marjorie Anders advised commuters to find another way into and out of New York.
"It will be crowded. It will be slow. Seek alternate means," she said in an email.
Irate passengers took to Twitter to vent and the head of a commuter advisory group complained that rail service was disrupted frequently over the summer for needed track work in New York. The incident on Wednesday, though not Metro-North's fault, adds to frustration among commuters, said Jim Cameron, a commuter advocate.
"It means commuters must have a plan B and a plan C," he said.
The state Department of Transportation reported significant traffic congestion on Interstate 95 on Wednesday morning. Traffic eased somewhat by early afternoon - from 20-mile backups to traffic jams a few miles long.
Amtrak, which runs along the same Metro-North corridor, advised passengers that service in the Northeast was operating with "significant delays." Acela Express service was suspended between New York and Boston and service between New York and Washington was operating with delays.
The passenger rail service said it has no estimate for power restoration.
philadelphia news, travel, amtrak, local/state
- Multi-vehicle crash closes EB Pa. Turnpike
- Temps Soar 22 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport 23 min ago
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Temps Soar
22 min ago
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila...
23 min ago