Egg Harbor City detective accused of sexual misconduct
EGG HARBOR CITY, N.J. - September 25, 2013 (WPVI) -- A detective with the Egg Harbor City Police Department is accused of using his position to coerce women into sex.
Steven Hadley, 31, of Port Republic, has been charged with four counts of second-degree official misconduct.
In a news release, the Atlantic County Prosecutor's Office said "Hadley committed unauthorized exercises of his official function as a police officer in order to obtain benefit for himself, specifically sexual contact."
Investigators say Hadley was on the job when he participated in sex acts with four women on various occasions from January 2010 through May 2013.
Just yesterday, the same day the charges were filed, Hadley was involved in a serious single car crash on the Garden State Parkway. His pickup went off the road into a tree and caught fire.
He is now in the burn unit at Temple University Hospital in critical condition.
His attorney says the car crash is not connected to the criminal charges, but a terrible coincidence.
In a written statement Hadley's attorney, Joseph A. Levin, said: "For years, Officer Hadley has served his community with honor and distinction. Other than his loving family, there was and is nothing more important to him than his honorably serving as a law enforcement officer. Officer Hadley is saddened by these allegations but they are just that, allegations. He respectfully requests that no one rush to judgment while he pursues a vigorous defense and a just resolution."
Officer Hadley has been suspended without pay from the department while this investigation is under way, according to his attorney.
If convicted, Hadley faces 5 to 10 years in prison and up to $150,000 in fines.
new jersey news, atlantic county news, police, local/state
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Easter Sunshine Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Elderly man struck, killed in Rhawnhurst
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Crimefighters: Reward in Camden drive-thru murder
- Divers pull more bodies from South Korean ferry
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police