Boy, 2, rescued from car window in Newark, Delaware
NEWARK, Del. - September 25, 2013 (WPVI) -- A young boy is recovering after being rescued from a car window in Newark, Delaware.
It happened shortly before 6:00 p.m. Wednesday along the unit block of Allison Lane in the Barksdale Estates neighborhood.
Witnesses say 2-year-old Adrian Blackman was inside an Infiniti in the driveway of the home when somehow the power window went up and wedged him so tightly, he couldn't breathe.
Witness Luis Galo says he called 911 when he heard the screams of the child's mother.
"It was like my soul came out of my body when I heard that. It was kind of scary cause I could see the kid couldn't breathe," Galo said.
Police say family members were able to free the boy from the car window before first responders arrived. The boy was unconcious.
Newark police officers arrived and began administering CPR.
Members of the Aetna Hose and Ladder Fire Company arrived and continued CPR for another 15-20 minutes as they rushed the boy to Christiana Hospital. They were finally able to revive him while enroute to the hospital.
The boy was later transferred to Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children where police say he was listed in stable condition. He is expected to survive.
"We are just praying that everything should be alright," Adrian's uncle Njeta Tata said.
Tata told Action News the boy's grandparents live at the home and they babysit during the day.
Family and neighbors were just praying for the boy's speedy recovery.
"Adrian is a good kid; he's a wonderful kid. He's very active. You leave him for one second, he's everywhere. He's a very healthy kid," Tata said.
The Infiniti, meanwhile, was towed from the scene.
Newark Police are asking anyone with additional information about the incident to contact Det. Fred Nelson at 302-366-7110 ext. 136 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
delaware news, new castle county news, local/state
- Mug shot released of McNabb after Ariz. arrest 11 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders
- $105,000 taken in Tacony armored car heist 40 min ago
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital 32 min ago
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy
- 1 dead in cement truck, car crash in Levittown
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del.
- Mom surrenders after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply