Magnolia murder-suicide shooter was retired Camden firefighter
MAGNOLIA, N.J. - September 25, 2013 (WPVI) -- Action News has confirmed the man responsible for a murder-suicide in Magnolia Wednesday was a retired Camden firefighter.
Police say 66-year-old Henry Yip of the 300 block of East Washington Avenue shot his wife, 54-year-old Vicki Yip, then shot himself.
The incident unfolded around 7:00 p.m. Wednesday on the 300 block of East Washington Avenue.
Police initially responded to the East Washington Avenue home after receiving a call from a relative of the family to check on the couple.
A responding officer saw a person in the home then heard a gunshot.
Almost at the same time, police say they received a call from the home from an individual who stated he had killed his wife and was going to kill himself.
The relative who notified police had earlier in the evening received what authorities call an "alarming phone call" from Henry Yip and was concerned enough to contact authorities.
Action News is told Henry Yip is a former Camden city employee.
Earlier in the night, the neighborhood was placed on lockdown as a SWAT team moved in on the home.
Authorities tried to communicate with the couple inside, but were unable to do so.
Residents were kept inside until they were given the all-clear.
"The fire department came down and they were like 'get in the house and don't come out.' They made everyone get inside. For about 40 minutes, we were inside," neighbor Shawn Houlihan said.
Houlihan said she could hear police using the megaphone and saying, "Come out of the house with your hands up."
"I guess they tried to call because they said 'We just want to talk to you, answer the phone.' Then it got silent for a little bit and after that, we were allowed out of our house," Houlihan said.
The investigation is still ongoing.
new jersey news, camden county news, standoff, local/state
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Warmer Weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Overbrook shooting
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Video released of AK-47 robbery in Wynnefield
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Video: Flyers' Hartnell co-authors children's book