Magnolia murder-suicide shooter was retired Camden firefighter
MAGNOLIA, N.J. - September 25, 2013 (WPVI) -- Action News has confirmed the man responsible for a murder-suicide in Magnolia Wednesday was a retired Camden firefighter.
Police say 66-year-old Henry Yip of the 300 block of East Washington Avenue shot his wife, 54-year-old Vicki Yip, then shot himself.
The incident unfolded around 7:00 p.m. Wednesday on the 300 block of East Washington Avenue.
Police initially responded to the East Washington Avenue home after receiving a call from a relative of the family to check on the couple.
A responding officer saw a person in the home then heard a gunshot.
Almost at the same time, police say they received a call from the home from an individual who stated he had killed his wife and was going to kill himself.
The relative who notified police had earlier in the evening received what authorities call an "alarming phone call" from Henry Yip and was concerned enough to contact authorities.
Action News is told Henry Yip is a former Camden city employee.
Earlier in the night, the neighborhood was placed on lockdown as a SWAT team moved in on the home.
Authorities tried to communicate with the couple inside, but were unable to do so.
Residents were kept inside until they were given the all-clear.
"The fire department came down and they were like 'get in the house and don't come out.' They made everyone get inside. For about 40 minutes, we were inside," neighbor Shawn Houlihan said.
Houlihan said she could hear police using the megaphone and saying, "Come out of the house with your hands up."
"I guess they tried to call because they said 'We just want to talk to you, answer the phone.' Then it got silent for a little bit and after that, we were allowed out of our house," Houlihan said.
The investigation is still ongoing.
new jersey news, camden county news, standoff, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 55 min ago
- Milder Monday 42 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 55 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90 37 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 55 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Video: Annual Phila. Flower Show wraps up 53 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry...
55 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
55 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
55 min ago
- Milder Monday
42 min ago