Thief on bicycle robs, kills man for backpack in South Philadelphia
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - September 26, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police are searching for a gunman who shot and killed a man near his brother-in-law's bakery in South Philadelphia.
23-year-old Gavino Aparicio lost his life right behind his brother-in-law's South Philadelphia bakery Thursday morning.
He was riding his bike home from work at a local restaurant around 4:15 a.m.
He stopped by the bakery at 8th and Watkins to say hello.
As he pulled up, a man rode by on a bike, circled back, and demanded Aparicio's backpack.
"There was a struggle between our shooter and our victim and at some time the shooter pulled a gun and according to witnesses fired several shots," Philadelphia Police Chief Inspector Scott Small said.
Aparicio was shot once in the back.
He was transported to Jefferson University Hospital and pronounced dead.
The shooter made off with the backpack and a cell phone, but he left behind his own bicycle and potential evidence of his identity.
"There's a good possibility that the shooter's fingerprints are on that bicycle. There's also a good possibility that there is DNA especially on the handlebars," Small said.
The bakery has its own surveillance system and cameras pointing right where the shooting happened.
Police are reviewing it, hoping it leads them to the killer.
Meantime, neighbors have so many questions and concerns about how and why this violence happened right on their block.
"Why couldn't they just take what he had and go away? Why you have to kill the young kid?" South Philadelphia resident Sam Spade said.
"I feel for his family. I feel for the community. I hope they find this guy. I really do," South Philadelphia resident Zachary Stiffler said.
Aparicio leaves behind a wife and a newborn child.
The family is working with the Mexican consulate as they make funeral plans.
The family are making plans to send Aparicio's body back to Mexico.
Police describe the suspect as a black male, 5' 3" tall. He was wearing a charcoal gray hoodie and black pants and carrying the victim's black backpack.
Anyone with information is asked to call Philadelphia Police or 911.
robbery, south philadelphia news, philadelphia news, local/state
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ